People and Houses

We have created a name index of people mentioned in some Kirby Muxloe records in the County Record Office.

We have also created a list of house names.

Earliest Times

References to Kirby Muxloe can be found in the Domesday Book of 1086. The village was then known as Carbi, the name originating from the Dane Caeri. At the time, the settlement was part of the Leicester Forest and the working population was recorded as 8, although the actual number of inhabitants would have been higher taking into consideration women, children and the old folk no longer working.

19th Century

Over the next few centuries, the population fluctuated until we come to the census of 1841, which tells us that there were 321 persons living in the village, mostly employed as farmers, graziers, agricultural labourers or servants.

Kirby Muxloe was different to the surrounding villages, which by this time had thriving communities of frame work knitters. By the 1851 census, Ratby was recorded as having 131 framework knitters whilst Kirby had very few. It is clear that at this time Kirby Muxloe was very much a farming community.

By examining the trade directories and census returns of 1841 until 1942, it is apparent that the village was transformed during the last twenty years of the 19th century. This coincides with the coming of the railway. The Knighton to Desford loop of the railway was completed in 1849. By July 1859, the station was opened for passengers. This brought a great change to the fortunes of the village.

Around that time, many of the wealthy industrialists were living in Stoneygate, which was close to Leicester and in easy proximity of their factories and offices. Unfortunately, at the time, the area was subject to fog, especially over Victoria Park and the families were looking for somewhere to live with easy access to Leicester, but with a more rural setting and lots of "fresh air".

Until 1870, the only house on what we now know as Kirby Fields, was named ‘Kirby Fields’, which was a large farm house with around 140 acres. The original house is thought to date from around 1801 and by 1875 much of the adjoining land had been sold off into large plots, each to accommodate one house and with a large garden. Building commenced in 1875 with the first ‘new house’ being Portland House built for Willian Dalrymple the manager of the Leicester Provident Dispensary. Over the next twenty years building continued and several more houses were added after the turn of the century.

Our railway station even had a mention in a famous song performed by Flanders and Swann, called "The Slow Train".

The Land Society

Elsewhere in the village, houses were being built by the Kirby Muxloe Land Society, to which land had been transferred in 1882. Building then commenced on Castle Road, Barwell Road and Church Road.