1889-90 Wright's Directory - Kirby Muxloe

The following transcription is the Kirby Muxloe section from the 1889-90 Wright's Directory of Leicester and Twelve Miles Round

KIRBY MUXLOE is a township, small village, and chapelry, with station on the Leicester and Burton railway, in the parish of Leicester Forest, East, situated on an eminence, in the Harborough division, Sparkenhoe hundred, rural deanery of Guthlaxton No 1, Blaby union, Leicester County Court district, and division of Enderby for the County Council, 5 miles west from Leicester, and 7 E.N.E. from Market Bosworth. The Ratby station is in this parish. The surface is hilly, and the lower grounds are watered by the two Kirby brooks, which, uniting their streams, form the Glenfield brook. The chapel is dedicated to St. Bartholomew. It is a small plain Early English edifice, comprising chancel, nave, dome, tower, with three bells. In 1858 the church was restored and stained windows inserted at the east end. A window has also been recently placed in the west end. There is a large handsome school building in the Elizabethan style, with house attached. It was built in 1858 by the late J. B. Winstanley, Esq. There are the remains of an ancient moated and castellated mansion, formerly belonging to the Hastings family; they are partly covered with ivy. This castle was supposed to have been for some time the place of refuge for Jane Shore. Here are a number of villa residences occupied by professional gentlemen and tradesmen, and the village is much resorted to in the summer by the residents of Leicester. Captain R. G. Pochin, J.P, is lord of the manor and principal owner. The area is 1623a. 2r. 11p. ; rateable value, about £4280; the population in 1881, 382. The feast is on the Sunday after September 4.

ST. BARTHOLOMEW'S CHAPEL.-Services : Sunday 10-45 and 6-30. Communion third Sunday in month. Curate, Rev. H. T. Brookman; Wardens, Messrs. S. Stretton and William Henry Humphreys; Organist, Mr. T. Mitchell; Clerk, John Chesterton. Hymns A. and M.

ZION CHAPEL (1881), BAPTIST-Services, 2.30 and 6-30. Steward, James Turner.

Henry Samuel Partridge, sub-postmaster. Letters from Leicester delivered at 7a.m., box cleared at 7 p.m. Nearest Money Order Office at Desford (3 m.) Telegraph Offices at Desford railway station and Groby (3 miles).

+In Desford postal district.

[Unless otherwise indicated, all names marked * in the following Lists have places of business in Leicester.]

*Barwell Thomas (seed & cake merchant), The Woodlands

*Bates Fdk, of Bates, Son & Bishell

Bradbury Miss Jane, dressmaker.

*Brady Matthew, of Brady & Son

Branson Mr. Charles, Castle view

Brookman Rev. Hugh Thos, curate

Brooks Frederick, station master

Brown George, builder

Brown Mr. Robert

Carpendale Thomas William (bank clerk) Haverholme

Carver John, cow keeper.

Chesterton John, blacksmith and parish clerk, and apartments

Cufflin Alfred Thomas, miller

*Dalrymple William, secretary to Leicester Provident Dispensary

Durrad Mrs. Mary, Ashleigh

Ellis Joseph & Sons, coal merchants, Station wharf, Samuel Smith agt

Flude Daniel, bootmaker

Flude William, beer retailer, grazier and shopkeeper

*Harding William (coal merchant)

*Harrold Matthew (boot manufacturer), The Inglewood

*Hitchcock Wm. Fielding, mllr's mgr

Hudson Hefford, btchr and cattle dIr

*Hughes George (yarn merchant)

*Humphreys William Henry, of Fleming & Co

Hutchinson Charles, cowkeeper

Hutchinson Mrs. Ann, florist and market gardener

Jones Thos. Austin, v, Railway Inn

*King Thomas Charles (painter)

*Lacey Alfred John, of Wm. Lacey & Son, The Newlands

*Lennard John, of Lennard Bros, The Larches

Madder Fred, baker and flour dealer

Mason George, bricklayer

Mitchell Ths. & Mrs. Annie Everard, mstr and mstrss National school

NeaIe Wm, joiner and wheelwright

Odell Miss Alice, day school, h Princess street, Leicester

Oldacres Miss Kate, apartments

Oldacres Mr. Thomas Kirkley

Oram Mrs. -, Forest lodge

Partridge Henry Sml, sub-postmstr

Perkins John Guy (Captain 1st City of London Artillery Volunteers), Forest ville

*Preston Reuben Robinson (acctnt)

Richman John Edward, manager at John Sarson & Sons

*Sharp JamesAdams, of J. .A. Sharp & Sons, Kirby villa

Sharp Misses Elizabeth and Harriet Ann, apartments, Forest lodge

*Sharples Rd. Boardman (hosy mfr)

Silles Dr. T. S. (att. 3 times weekly)

Smith Mr. John

Spiers John, v, Royal Oak

Wilkinson Mrs. Ann

Wright William, bootmkr; h Ratby


Burgin Rev. Roby, h Shardlow

Forryan Joseph, Kirby parks

Harrison Samuel, and wheelwright

May Jeffrey, Forest farm

Mee Gilbert, The Elms farm

Mee Gilbert, jun.

Paul George, Newbridge farm

Sheen William Rymer, grazier

+Stretton Simeon, Ashby shrubs

*Underwood John, and of Norman and Underwood, Kirby Castle farm

Wathes Hy, The Oaks, h Leicester

Whittaker Nahum, foreman to Rev. R. Burgin