Shops & Businesses

Here we take a stroll down Main Street and a walk into the past

Madder's Bakery, Main Street, Kirby Muxloe

In the middle of the 19th century, Kirby’s baker was William Flude, who remained in the village until around 1870, according to the trade directories. The Madder family then took over in 1889, starting with Fred Madder, followed later by Edward Madder, until 1936. In 1892, Edward was recorded as a baker and flour dealer and in 1898 as a baker, confectioner and sub-postmaster, with his bakery business expanding to cater for the new residents of Kirby Fields. By 1941, the bakery had been replaced by a garage and one petrol pump used by Jack Forman. So during WW2 and later, it appears that there was no longer a baker in the village.

After the bakery closed, Jones and Overton, electricians, took over the building, using it as a store and workshop to complement their shop on the opposite side of the road. There was still a petrol pump there at that time. To the rear of the old bakery building, Jack Randall and his son Roy ran an agricultural business, mending and servicing all sorts of tractors and agricultural machinery. They were also contractors, hiring out machinery for ploughing, haymaking and threshing. There was a wooden lean-to behind the bakery which was decked out with fox tails. It was used as a workshop. It is said there was quite a lot of noise from the machinery. In later years when Jones and Overton left, Midland Door and Gate ran their business there. They relocated to Scudamore Road Industrial Estate in the mid 1990’s and then the bakery was let to a lady who made up knitwear and ran various market stalls.

Finally, as the property was falling into such disrepair, it was deemed unsafe and was demolished. A new courtyard housing development was built on the land in 2005, named Carlyon Court.