1916 Kelly's Directory - Kirby Muxloe
Records

1916 Kelly's Directory - Kirby Muxloe

The following transcription is the Kirby Muxloe section from the 1916 Kelly's Directory of Leicestershire.

KIRBY MUXLOE, situated on a pleasant eminence, is a township, small village and chapeIry in the parish of Glenfield, with a station three-quarters of a mile distant on the Leicester and Burton branch of the Midland railway, and is 5 miles west from Leicester and about 7 east-north-east from Market Bosworth, in the Southern division of the county, Sparkenhoe hundred, Blaby union, Leicester petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Guthlaxton (first portion), archdeaconry of Leicester and diocese of Peterborough. By Local Government Board Order a detached part of Leicester Forest East parish was transferred in 1885 to Kirby Muxloe. The church of St. Bartholomew is a small but ancient edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a low western tower, containing 5 bells: a stained window was inserted in 1897: in 1891 a vestry was built and in 1901 the church was redecorated and a new organ provided: there are 200 sittings. The living is a chapelry, annexed with Braunstone to the rectory of Glenfield, joint net yearly value £330, with residence, in the gift of Major R. Winstanley, and held since 1899 by the Rev. Octavius Philpott M.A. of Jesus College, Cambridge, who resides at Glenfield: the Rev. Henry Claude Gannell RA. of Cauis College, Cambridge, has been resident curate here since 1911. There is a Baptist chapel, erected in 1881 and rebuilt in 1897. Here are the remains of a castle, partly overgrown with ivy. The principle land-owners are Major Richard Winstanley, who is lord of the manor, Col. Thomas and the trustees of Thomas Barwell esq. The soil is sand; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley, and some land in pasture. The area is 1,701 acres of land and 1 of water; rateable value, £,8,415; the population in 19I1 was 1,032.

By Local Government Board Order No. 46,276 Oct. 1st, 1904, part of Kirby Muxloe was transferred to Ratby for civil purposes.

Parish Clerk, Edward Hyatt.

Post, M.O., T.O. &; Telephonic Express Delivery Office. -James Dale, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Leicester & are delivered at 6.40 a.m. & 3.25 p.m.; dispatched at 11.15 a.m. & 7·5 & 8 p.m. sunday excepted

Telephone Call Office. - Mrs. J. A. Curtis, operator in charge

Wall Letter Boxes. - Near Station, cleared daily at 11.30 a.m. & 6.35 & 9.5 p.m. sunday excepted; & Castle End, cleared daily at 11.15 a.m. & 7.15 p.m. sunday excepted

The Council school (mixed), erected in 1911, for 230 scholars; Harry Holmes, master

A school (mixed), in the Swiss style, with master's house attached, built here in 1858, by the late J. B. Winstanley esq. & restored in 1898, is now used as a sunday school

RaIlway Station, Frederick Judson, station master

Carriers to Leicester.-John H. Wood, wed. fri. & sat.; Edward Wheatley, wed. fri. & sat

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Ball Arthur Edward, Ryslinge

Bass George, Kirby fields

Bennett Henry Swain, Holmewood

Bollard Harry, Hill crest

Bowles John W. O. The Beeches

Brown Edward, Rosendene

Brown Geo. Lawton, The Hawthornes

Brown Thomas, Faleide

Brown Thomas E. Carisbrook

Caldwell Rd. Henderson, Heatherlea

Chesterton Mrs. Ivy house

Clarke John, Milber

Creese Walter, Malvern house

Curry Harry, South Field house

Dalrymple Mrs. Wingate

Dowell John Henry, Castle villa

Eaton John William

Edger Mrs. Ivy dene

Elworthy William, Forest house

Farwell Mrs. The Grove

Forth Rev. Jacob Coupland (Baptist) Church road

Gale Ernest, Stamford house

Gannell Rev. Henry Claude B.A. (curate in charge), Church lodge

Garfit. Charles Corringham M.B

Green Ernest, Castledene

Grice Robert, Woodbank

Hall William, Eastleigh

Harding Mrs. Sutton, The Towers

Healey Ebenezer, Gailoch

Healey Ebenezer, jun. Homestead

Hensman Thomas

Hewett Leicester, Wahnfried

Hewitt Mrs. Francis, Walberton

Hodgkin Saml. Burdett, The Rowans

Hollis Thomas, The Barncroft

Holmes Harry, Alton cottage

Hopps Frank, The Cottage

How Frederick Fielding, Abbotsbury

Hughes George, Highfields

Hughes John, Lyndene

Humphreys Rev. John David Thomas (Baptist), Milica

Islip Francis, The Chalet

Johnson Geo. Crawford, Preston holt

Kendall Frank R. The Newlands

Kendall Percy W. Newstead

Kendall Mrs. Moel-Llys

Kilby Cornelius W. Charnwood

Knibb Herbert, The Glen

Ladkin William, The Poplars

Mason Misses, Clifton house

Mason William M, Mayfield

Mee Gilbert, The Homestead

Millington Frederick, Perton

Mobbs Charles, Vernon house

Newbery Leonard, Ashleigh

Nichols J. E. The Headlands

Noel Capt. Harold Ernest, Woodlands

O'Connor Major Jn. Edwd. R.A.M.C., M.B., D.P.H. (medical officer of health for Leicestershire, Rutland, Northamptonshire & Warwickshire Combined Sanitary District), White lodge

Odell Misses, Hillside

Oram The Misses

Partridge Ernest D. Westleigh

Porter Jas. The Lindens, Elms estate

Price H Walton lodge

Reynolds Thomas Bennett

Richards George, Kirby croft

Roberts Harry, Barron park

Rose Edward Percy, the Spinneys

Sargeantson Capt.Cecil

Sharp Miss, Forest lodge

Stevenson Arthur, Forest cottage

8turgess Walter

Taylor George, Forest view

Tyler Sydney, Elmcroft

Ward John W. Castle cottage

Warner Alan, The Firs

Westland Miss, The Old White house

Williamson John W

Wilshere Herbt. Wm. The Old house

Winfrey Frank Cooper J.P. The Links

Wisdish William

COMMERCIAL.

Alexandra Paving Stone Co Limited, concrete manfrs. Kirby Park farm

Archer Arthur, farmer

Armson & Hollis, builders

Barkby Thomas, boot maker

Boden Annie E. (Mrs.), tea rooms

Bosworth Philip, Royal Oak P.H

Bowley Bros. agricultural machine owners

Bradbury Ethel (Mrs.), grocer

Bradnock Ada E. (Miss), fancy drapr

Chambers R. W. decorator

Chesterton John, blacksmith

Clarke C. & Sons, farmers

Davey Albert shopkeeper

Davey John, news agent

Ellis Joseph & Sons Limited, coal & lime merchants, Railway' station

Foulds Walter, com. trav. Clydesdale

Fox William, farmer

Freckelton Forester Stenson, farmer, Castle farm

Garfit Charles Corringham M.B.,Ch.B.Vict. surgeon, & medical officer & public vaccinator Glenfield district, Blaby union

Harris George James L.R.C.P.Lond., M.R.C.S.Eng. surgeon (calls here). medical officer & public vaccinator .Ansty district, Barrow-on-Soar union, & certifying factory surgeon

Harrison Samuel, wheelwright

Heap Charles, painter

Heap Florence Edith (Mrs.), grocer

Hollis James, builder, see Armson & Hollis

Hudson WiIliam Edward, butcher

Ireland Henry, plumber

Kirby Muxloe Co-operative Society Ltd

Madder Edward, baker

Mason Florence (Mrs.), dress maker

Mason Frederick, builder

Moore Joseph, wheelwright

Odell Sarah (Miss), private school

Ratcliffe John, farmer

Russell George, butcher

Russell John, shopkeeper

Sharp Elizabeth (Mrs.), boarding house, Forest lodge

Sharp Newton, joiner & carpenter

Wheatley Edward, carrier, Muriel ho

Wheatley Lucy (Miss), dress maker

Wright Samuel, shoe maker