1877 White's Directory - Kirby Muxloe
Records

1877 White's Directory - Kirby Muxloe

The following transcription is the Kirby Muxloe section from the 1877 White's Directory of Leicestershire

Kirby Muxloe is a village, Township and chapelry to Glenfield parish, about 5 miles W. by S. of Leicester, containing 342 inhabitants, and 1634A. 1R. 30P. of land, nearly surrounded by the Leicester and Burton and Leicester and Swannington Railways, and rising boldly on the south-west to one of the highest parts of Leicester Forest, where there is a pleasant but unoccupied mansion, called The Oaks, belonging to Mr Hurst and encompassed by well-wooded pleasure-grounds, commanding extensive prospects. The other principle landowners are C. Pochin, Esq., of Braunstone, and the Rev. T. S. Carlyon, of Bath, who are also lords of the manor. The soil is mostly red marl, and the surface is greatly diversified. The manor was held by the Pakemans till the early part of the 15th century, when it passed to the Hastings, who sold it in 1636 to Banister. It was purchased in 1778 by the late C. Winstanley, Esq. Near the village are the remains of a CASTLE, which was built about the year 1475, by Sir William afterwards Lord Hastings. Tradition says it was for some time a place of refuge for Jane Shore. It is still encompassed by a moat, enclosing an oblong space of nearly two acres. A gateway, flanked by two semi- octagonal towers, conducts into the courtyard. The whole edifice is built of brick, with sandstone facings, mullions, copings, door mouldings &c. To the right of the gateway is a lofty square tower, embattled, three stories high, and over-grown with ivy. A corresponding structure is supposed to have stood on the left of the entrance. In the grand doorway are grooves for a portcullis. On each side of the entrance passage are vaulted rooms, formerly used by the porters. The heads of the windows are square, and those of the doors pointed but depressed. A number of loopholes through which missiles were intended to be discharged upon the enemy, are to be seen in various parts. By application at the house of the farmer who resides near the ruins the keys may be obtained by parties wishing to inspect the remains of this ancient castellated mansion. The CHURCH (St. Bartholomew), a small antique fabric, with three bells, was thoroughly restored, re-roofed, and re-seated in 1848, at a cost of £800, raised by subscription, and a grant of £40 from the Church Building Society. In 1858 a handsome stone redo was erected by subscription in the church. An organ was purchased in 1857, at a cost of £8o; and in 1858 T. H. Pares, Esq., placed two splendid stained glass windows at the east and west ends, one representing the four Evangelists, and the other the Nativity, the Baptism, and the Crucifixion. The result of these improvements has been to render the interior of the church one of the prettiest in the county. There is a piscina in the chancel. The living, curacy, is consolidated with the rectory of Glenfield. A large and handsome NATIONAL SCHOOL, with master’s house attached, was built in 1858, in the Swiss style, by the late J.B. Winstanley, Esq., and is attended by about 50 children. The tithes have been commuted for £160 per annum. Kirby Muxloe Station is on the Leicester and Burton Railway, and Ratby Station on the old Leicester Swannington line. Both are within about half a mile of the village.

POST via Leicester, which is the nearest Money Order Office.

Astill, James, fmr. & grazr. The Oaks

Barwell – corn, &c,mercht Leicester

Beaumont, Thomas and James, farmers

Brisgstock Thomas, station master

Brown Robert, farmer, Kilby Parks {Ed: Kirby?}

Chesterton Edward, blacksmith and parish clerk

Calpas James, victualler, Royal Oak

Cufflin Alfred Thomas, corn miller

Elgood Rev John Charles M.A. curate

Ellis Joseph and Sons, coal and lime merchants, and Leicester

Flude Daniel, boot and shoe maker

Flude William, baker

Gill George Womack, coal merchant, and Leicester

Goode Mr Jas. Bakewell, Forest Lodge

Hefford Hudson, butcher

Hudson William, shopkeeper

Lee James, farmer and grazier, and drill, mowing and reaping machine owner

Lines William, boot and shoe maker

Mee Gilbert, farmer

Miles Edward Lomas, land surveyor

Miles Mr Edward Pares, Kirby fields

Mitchell Thomas, National school master and organist

Neale William, joiner

Oldacre Thomas Kirkley, farmer and grazier, Castle farm

Orton Joseph, farmer

Pick Henry, coal and lime agent

Stonier Mrs Rhoda, Vernon house

Tunnicliffe Henry, Butcher

Wilkinson Mrs Ann, Victualler, Railway Inn, Ratby wharf

RAILWAY STATION – Thos. Brigstock, station master

CARRIERS from Newbold-Verdon and Ratby to Leicester pass through the village on Wednesday and Saturday