Records

1861 Drake and Co. Commercial Directory - Kirby Muxloe

The following transcription is the Kirby Muxloe section from the 1861 Drake and Co.'s Commercial Directory of Leicestershire

KIRBY MUXLOE is a village, township, and chapelry, in the parish of Glenfield and Union of Blaby, about 5 miles W. by S. of Leicester, containing 335 inhabitants, and 2230 acres of land. Near the village are the remains of a CASTLE, which was built about the year 1475, by Sir William, afterwards Lord Hastings. The Church is a small ancient structure, with three bells, and the curacy is consolidated with the rectory of Glenfield. James B. Winstanley, Esq., is lord of the manor; and he about 4 years ago erected a new school in the village.

Letters from Leicester, which is also the nearest Money Order Office.

Adcock Wm. farmer, Ashby Shrubbs

Baker Joseph, carpenter

Beaumont Thomas, farmer

Bennett Sarah, farmer

Brigstock Thomas, station master

Brown Robert, farmer

Chesterton Edw. blacksmith and church clerk

Colpas James, vict. Royal Oak

Cufflin Thomas, corn miller

Ellis James, farmer, and coal &c. merchant, Lodge

Flude Daniel, shoemaker

Flude William, baker

Hooke John, farmer, Castle Farm

Hudson Wm. shopkeeper and farmer

Jones Thos. blacksmith and wheelwright

Lee John, farmer

Lines William, shoemaker

Marris Henry, auctioneer, at Leicester

Miles Edward P. Esq.

Mitchell Thomas, schoolmaster

Smallwood Rev. Edw. M.A. curate

Tunnicliff Henry, butcher

Wilkinson John, vict. Whitwick Colliery

CARRIER to Leicester, Wed. and Sat. Edward Chesterton

TRAINS to Leicester, Ashby, Burton onTrent, and all parts three or four times a day. Thos. Brigstock, station master