1846 White's Directory - Kirby Muxloe
Records

1846 White's Directory - Kirby Muxloe

The following transcription is the Kirby Muxloe section from the 1846 White's Directory of Leicestershire

KIRBY MUXLOE is a pleasant village, township, and chapelry, in Glenfield parish, about 5 miles W. by S. of Leicester, containing 321 souls, and 2230 acres of land, bounded on the N. W. by the Leicester and Swannington Railway and a rivulet, and rising boldly on the S.W. to one of the highest parts of the Forest, where Joshua Grundy, Esq., has a pleasant seat called The Oaks, encompassed by well-wooded pleasure grounds, and commanding extensive prospects. The other principal land owners are C. Winstanley, Esq., (lord of the manor,) and John Moore, Esq. The soil is mostly a black stiff clay, and the surface is greatly diversified. Near the village are the remains of a CASTLE, which was built about the year 1475, by Sir William, afterwards Lord Hastings. Tradition says it was for some time a place of refuge for Jane Shore. It was formerly encompassed by a moat, enclosing an oblong space of nearly two acres. A gateway, flanked by two semi-octagonal towers, conducts into the court yard. The whole edifice is built of brick, with sandstone facings, mullions, copings, door mouldings, &c. To the right of the gateway is a lofty square tower, embattled, three stories high, and overgrown with ivy. A corresponding structure is supposed to have stood on the left of the entrance. In the grand doorway are the grooves for a portcullis. On each side of the entrance passage are vaulted rooms, formerly used by the porters. The heads of the windows are square, and of the doors pointed but depressed. A number of loop-holes, through which missiles were intended to be discharged upon an enemy, are to be seen in various parts. By application at the house of the farmer who resides near the ruins, the keys may be obtained by parties wishing to inspect the remains of this ancient castellated mansion. The Church is a small antique fabric, with three bells, and the curacy is consolidated with the rectory of Glenfield. The manor was held by the Pakemans till the early part of the 15th century, when it passed to the Hastings, who sold it in 1636, to Robert Banister. It was purchased in 1778, by the late C. Winstanley, Esq. Kirby Frith is already noticed at page 545.

Baker Wm. vict. "Whitwick Colliery"

Carter Henry, boot and shoe maker

Chesterton John, carpenter and church clerk

Cufflin Thomas, corn miller

Grundy Joshua, Esq. The Oaks

Hudson Wm. shopkeeper

Jones Thos. farrier and blacksmith, Hinckley road

Kinton Caroline, vict. Royal Oak

May Wm. shopkeeper

FARMERS AND GRAZIERS.

Bennett Thos.

Beaumont Thos.

Brewin Samuel

Hall George

Compton Robert, Brickman Hill

Cramp Jonathan, Kirby Frith

Harrison Joseph, Cottage

Hooke John, Castle Farm

Lee John

Pougher Elizabeth, Ashby Shrubbs

Vincent Jno.

Webster J. Frith

CARRIER, J.Astill, to Leicester, Sat.