The Parish of Kirby Muxloe
Parish

Parish or Chapelry ?

Until 1930, Kirby Muxloe was, strictly, a chapelry of the Parish of Glenfield.

The census Enumerators seem unsure, so write that it is "... the Chapelry or Parish of Kirby Muxloe".

As far as the records of Kirby are concerned, it has parish records in its own right, which are catalogued under "Kirby Muxloe" in the County Record Office.

Parish Records

We are very fortunate that many of the Parish Registers and "Parish Chest" records have survived.

The Family Search website has a summary of the parish registers that are available at the Record Office for Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland".

Transcriptions of some of the registers are available on our website in the section: "Records of the Village - Parish Registers".

In addition to the Parish Registers of baptisms, marriages and burials, there are also so-called "Parish Chest" records in the County Record Office, including Account Books for the Overseer of the Poor, the Church Warden, the Surveyor of Highways and the Parish Constable, dating back to the 18th century.

Various settlement examinations, settlement certificates, removal orders, paternity orders, parish apprenticeship records and poor rate assessment books have survived.

For a list of documents that are catalogued under Kirby Muxloe Parish Records and Topographical Index, see our lists here.

Expansion of the Parish

A major expansion of Kirby followed the arrival of the railway. The area known as Kirby Fields was transformed from agricultural land into an area of large houses for the wealthy business classes who wished to live in the countryside, but commute by train to Leicester and other major cities.

Further house building, this time for the less well-off, followed the establishment of the Kirby Muxloe Land Society in 1879.

Parish Council

The Parish Council held its first meeting on 3rd January 1895.

Today, further information can be found on its website.