History

Medieval Kirby Muxloe

The medieval period of British history covers the 5th to 15th centuries. Little is known of Kirby's history in this period until we reach the Domesday Book of 1086. Here we find the first mention of our village name, as Carbi, which would eventually become Kirby.

For more about how Kirby's name changed over time, see our article, here.

Domesday Book

The entries for Kirby Muxloe in the Domesday Book are shown on the Open Domesday website.

There are three entries, which together show a total of 15 households. There were 3½ "ploughlands", each of which was a measure of land, based on the area able to be ploughed in a year by a team of eight oxen.

There were 12 acres of meadows and some woods.

Since a ploughland is nominally 120 acres or ½ square km, the overall size does not appear to be substantially different from the size of Kirby today.

Carbi, as our village was known, was held by Ricolf, as Lord. The tenant in chief was William Peverel.

Pakeman Family

By 1302, the manor has come to the Pakeman family. They had a manor house built on the site that was later to be occupied by Kirby Muxloe Castle.

Simon Pakeman (1306-1376) appears to have had a "rags to riches" rise that took him from villager to Lord of the Manor.

Hastings Family

By 1455, the Hastings Family owned Kirby. It was to be William, Lord Hastings, who built Kirby Muxloe Castle, or at least started to have it built, until his execution by Richard III.

For more information, see Jonathan Wilshere's book "Old Kirby (Muxloe)".