Archaeology

Notes about archaeological findings to date

From artefacts found in and around the village, there is evidence of early man occupying the area. These notes come primarily from Leicestershire Museums, Arts and Records Service SMR (Sites and Monuments Record) and from an Archaeological and Historical Assessment of Gullet Lane/Links Road area of Kirby Muxloe.

Earliest findings

From artefacts found in and around the village there is evidence of early man occupying the area. Worked flint from the Early Neolithic period (c4000 BC to 2800BC) has been found in the Desford Lane area, at the rear of the castle and in other parts of the village. A Neolithic flint axe was found in 1891.

Neolithic Flints

Pottery finds

Pottery, including Grooved Ware, has also been found, showing that early man was settling here during the Late Neolithic period (c2800BC to 1500BC). It was during this period that forests were being cleared for cultivation. Evidence in the form of enclosures, house rings and pits show settlement during the Later Bronze Age/Early Iron Age(1000BC to 400BC) and excavations carried out prior to the construction of the A46 revealed Iron Age houses, post holes, field systems and scatters of Roman pottery. Also in this area, kiln bars were found showing that pottery was being made locally.

Bronze Age and Roman

During trial excavations near Gullet Lane, before work began on the Barons Park estate, evidence of Bronze Age pits and Roman activity was found. More evidence of Roman activity in the area comes from aerial photographs taken in 1948, which show part of the Mancetter Roman Road from Leicester to Mancetter, near Atherstone. Crop marks indicate that the road ran through the village and across what is now Kirby Muxloe Golf Course. Near this road, there have been significant finds of Roman metalwork, coins and Roman pottery.

The Danes and Domesday

Although there is no archaeological evidence of the settlement by the Danes around the late ninth or tenth century AD, the village is entered in the Domesday Book in 1086 as the farmstead or village of Carbi. Remains of an early manor house that was built in the early Medieval period (1067 to 1349 AD) by the Pakeman family are to be found on the same site as the castle. It is possible that a sand pit shown on the OS map of 1886 near ‘Elms Farm’ on Gullet Lane was the source of sand used in making the bricks for the castle. ‘Elms Farm’ was previously known as ‘Brickman’s Hill’. The building of the church, which dates from the fourteenth century, of Pakeman’s Place and subsequently the castle in 1485, indicate that the core of the medieval village was located in this area.